The Green Bonds Programme-Kenya
The Green Bond Programme - Kenya, which aims to promote financial sector innovation by developing a domestic green bond market, is brought together by the Kenya Bankers Association (KBA), Nairobi Securities Exchange (NSE), Climate Bonds Initiative, Financial Sector Deepening (FSD) Africa and FMO - Dutch Development Bank.
Other partners who provide technical assistance and guidance include International Finance Corporation (IFC) and the WWF - Kenya. The Green Bonds Programme - Kenya is endorsed by the National Treasury, Central Bank of Kenya and Capital Markets Authority with the Central Bank of Kenya Governor, Dr. Patrick Njoroge serving as the patron. KBA serves as the Program Secretariat.
The Green Bond Programme - Kenya will focus on the following work streams and outputs to support the issuance of the first Kenyan green bond and the development of a domestic green bond market. The objectives are:
1. Researching the potential of green bond issuance in Kenya
2. Developing a pipeline of green investments and engaging
with local and international investors
3. Supporting demonstration green bond issuance from
leading banks and corporates
4. Promoting green Islamic finance
5. Developing a pool of Kenya-based licensed verifiers
6. Development of a cooperative fixed income fundraising
facility that would allow smaller banks and corporates to
also take advantage of wholesale debt capital markets
7. Leveraging the Kenya experience to catalyze similar
programs across East Africa Community
For more information on the programme, kindly click and download the Green Bonds Programme - Kenya brochure.